NATO says it has agreed to restrict the use of airstrikes in Afghan residential areas following last week's deadly strike in the east that Afghan officials say killed 18 civilians.
Coalition officials told U.S. newspapers that troops would continue to conduct operations against insurgents who hide in residential compounds but that “when there is concern over the presence of civilians, air-delivered bombs will not be employed while other means are available.”
The statement comes a day after Afghan President Hamid Karzai said the commander of U.S. and NATO forces, General John Allen, pledged to end airstrikes in residential areas during a meeting about the deadly airstrike in Logar.
President Karzai condemned the incident and said any airstrike that kills civilians or damages their property is neither justified or acceptable.
Last week, President Karzai ordered a probe into a coalition airstrike that Afghan officials say killed eight members of a family in Paktia province.
In April, U.S. and Afghan officials signed an agreement putting Afghans in charge of special operations, including controversial night raids on Afghan homes that have been a major source of contention between the two sides.
Separately, Afghanistan's Interior Ministry says a roadside bomb has killed a pregnant woman who was being rushed to a hospital Monday in an ambulance. Officials say the blast also killed at least three of woman's relatives.
Authorities say the ambulance hit the bomb Monday in the northern province of Sar-e-Pul.
The Taliban regularly use improvised roadside bombs to target Afghan and international forces. VoA.